The Internet can be a very useful tool that allows us to stay in touch with family and friends, share information, conduct research and even do your shopping, but it can also has a negative side.
Criminals are often active online, participating in fraud, child pornography and bullying. It is important to use caution, and monitor your children, when engaging in online activities.
To ensure you and your family are safe when using the Internet:
- Keep the family computer in a public space so children’s activities online can be monitored – don’t allow children to have a computer or use devices in their room
- Have a secure Wi-Fi setting on your computer, and ensure passwords for email, social media sites and online shopping profiles are strong so they are less likely to be compromised
- Ensure your computer has anti-virus protection installed on it
- Never send or share inappropriate photos of messages
- Be cautious when giving out personal information such as your name, address, birthday and banking information
- Instruct your children to tell you if they are being bullied, or if someone is sending them inappropriate pictures or messages, or making them feel uncomfortable
- Remember – If something online sounds too good to be true – it probably is!
Fun Learning for Children
For access to interactive learning: LEARN MORE