Skip to main content


Collision Reporting Centre


Owen Sound Police Service
922 2nd Ave West
Owen Sound, ON
N4K  4M7
(Enter The Lobby And To The Right)

Business Hours

Monday to Friday 9:00am-5:00pm
Call (519) 371-6886   LEARN MORE



The Highway Traffic Act requires that all collisions where persons are injured, where damage exceeds a combined value of $2,000.00, or where there is damage to highway property MUST be reported to the Police.  

Reporting can be done by way of calling the Owen Sound Police Service immediately if your collision involves:  

  • Danger to motorists at the scene of the collision
  • Personal injury
  • Any criminal activity, such as impaired driving or stolen vehicles
  • A government vehicle of any kind
  • A vehicle which is transporting dangerous goods
  • Damage to third-party property, such as a parked car where the owner is not at the scene
  • Damage to private, municipal or highway property
  • A pedestrian or cyclist
  • An uncooperative driver

If the above criteria are NOT present, then the collision can be reported by attending the Collision Reporting Centre.

Steps to be taken by all drivers before attending the Collision Reporting Centre:

  • Check the exception list to determine if Owen Sound Police presence is required.
  • If it is safe to do so, remove vehicle from the roadway.
  • Exchange information with the other involved parties, including independent witnesses. Obtain names, addresses, phone numbers, insurance and vehicle particulars, including licence plate number.
  • As soon as possible, attend with your vehicle at the Collision Reporting Centre. If your vehicle is drivable, you have 48 hours to report your collision at the Collision Reporting Centre.
  • Bring your documentation with you to the Collision Reporting Centre, i.e. drivers licence, ownership and insurance.
  • The driver must attend with the vehicle.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you report Hit and Run (Fail to Remain) Collisions at the Collision Reporting Centre?
YES if there is no suspect information. Otherwise a Police Officer will be dispatched if there is a suspect vehicle or if the suspect vehicle is still in the area of the collision.

When should a driver attend the Collision Reporting Centre?
A driver involved in a property damage collision will report the collision at the Collision Reporting Centre during business hours, unless when said exceptions are present.

If a vehicle requires a tow, can the collision be reported to the Collision Reporting Centre?
YES, during business hours, towed vehicles must go directly to the Collision Reporting Centre from the scene of the collision unless when said exceptions are present.

Do all involved have to attend at the same time?
NO but all involved must report within 48 hours.